Wednesday 25 April 2018

Study Task 06 - CoP2 Statement

My essay explores gender stereotyping in product advertising/packaging and whether it alienates consumers in a society with a growing awareness of non-binary people and gender equality. The research i looked at was informative and taught me about the reasons in why the industry continue to use gender based stereotypes in packaging, for example the use of blue and pink, from the research I discovered where this idea originally came from, and through primary research developed an understanding on attitudes of my peers based from 35 responses. One of the main sources of information I used was Assoc. Prof. Dr. Diana Popova. 2010. Gender Stereotypes in Advertising, Bulgaria: Bourgas Free University, I found this to hit a lot of the points I wanted to discuss and allowed me to gain insight. I also looked into where gender stereotyping in the media and advertising has had backlash and a negative response, in most cases the companies involved have apologised and changed what they put out there. There was no denying that stereotypes are useful for selling products to a specific group however through research of brands such as the ordinary and aesop it is clear that those with minimal design, focusing on what is actually in the products without using gimmicks sells well. With this in mind I set out to create a set of 4 skincare products, with the brand name vital, with packaging that draws from what is inside rather than who they are targetting. Another form of primary research was looking around my house and discovering the majority of skincare in the household featured simplistic design for trustworthy products.

I enjoyed this project as I am very interested in packaging design, working with the space given in specifications and appealing to eye allows you to experiment with layout and type, with this kind of design choosing the correct typefaces and colour palette is essential. Writing the essay first allowed me to gain a real insight into the area of graphic design before then researching the actual design side and developing a range. I believe the range to be successful based on feedback given by both males and females from the age of 19 to 50. All of the people I asked to critique said they would buy the products as the colours work well together and look trustworthy. In terms of my growth as a designer, I have developed an understanding in academic reading and how it can educate and inform your design choices,  as well as making me more aware of how important social issues current in society are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment